Christ Church was founded in 1874 by Joseph Foster under a trust deed as a 200-seat church built in Kentish Ragstone with a 46-ft-high bell tower. Alongside built at the same time was a school hall, with upper room, a small kitchen and outside toilet, also with Kentish Ragstone. A powerful organ was installed in 1884 and is still in use for services today.
Around the time of the second world war, Christ Church became more associated with the Parish Church and Anglicanism. In 1956, the Archbishop of Canterbury cemented the relationship and the church had a letter of Agreement for 30 years which made provision for a Curate-in-Charge to be provided by the Parish whilst remaining Evangelical. This agreement ceased in 1985 when the Archbishop gave notice that of a review of clergy in the area was being undertaken and that with dwindling congregations the number of clergy was being revised.
A Christian church rooted in the Anglican tradition, Christ Church has been part of the Free Church of England since 1986. The Book of Common Prayer 1959 is at the centre of all services.
Who We Are
Christ Church, Willesborough, is one of the churches in the Free Church of England.
The church is part of the Southern Diocese of the FCE.
The principles, canons, constitution, byelaws, etc., can all be found in the denominational website.
We have been blessed with the prayers, teaching and guidance of many Ministers through the years.
Our Vision, Mission, Values
Our mission at Christ Church, Willesborough, is to be compassionate, inclusive and to walk with Jesus. Through gospel, service, worship and missions, we bring God closer to our hearts and closer to the hearts of those around us. As a fellowship of believers, we have the honor of proclaiming the glory of Christ to one another in a loving and caring setting.